Tag Archives: Photographer

James Harris

Ca. 1858        Address Unknown, St. Louis, Missouri.                                                                                  1858                Address Unknown, Paris, Missouri.                                                                                          1858                Address Unknown, Roanoke, Missouri.

James Harris was recorded in one announcement and one advertisement.  The announcement appeared on April 8, 1858 in the  Glasgow Weekly Times (Glasgow, Missouri).  Ambrotypes.—Mr. Harris, a very excellent artist, is at present at Roanoke, as will be seen by an advertisement in another column.  He was recently in Paris, and his work called forth the following notice from the “Mercury,” which we fully endorse:

“We had the pleasure of visiting lately the Ambrotype and Photograph Gallery of Prof. Harris, and must say that we have seldom if ever seen finer pictures.  The Sphereotype please us best.  This new style of picture must supersede other forms in this beautiful art.  When finished up by such Artists as Prof. Harris, it has that roundness and beauty of the natural form, with an exquisite delicacy of light and shade that we have seen in no other form of Picture.  All lovers of the beautiful and those who may desire correct likenesses of themselves or friends, will do well to call on Prof. Harris.”

The advertisement ran from April 8 to May 13, 1858 in the Glasgow Weekly Times (Glasgow, Missouri).  Ambrotypes.  Prof. Harris; of Tilford’s City Gallery, St. Louis, respectfully announces to the citizens of Roanoke and vicinity, that he has removed his Daguerrean Car to that place, for the purpose of taking pictures in all the various Branches of the Art!

He flatters himself that he will give general satisfaction.  Those wishing pictures are invited to call at the Car and examine specimens.  Lockets, Pins, and Rings, together with all kinds of cases, always to be found at the Car.  Pictures colored to represent paintings, or give an exact representation of the dress worn.  Prices from One Dollar Upwards.  Roanoke, April 8, 1857. James Harris, Artist.

James Harris is not recorded in other photographic directories.

J. Harris

1859                Room over Wheelock’s Boot and Shoe Manufactory, Union Block, Main street,                            Hillsboro, Ohio.

J. Harris was recorded in an advertisement that ran from January 20 to March 24, 1859 in The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, Ohio). Ho, for Pike’s Peak!  The subscriber respectfully informs the public of Hillsboro and vicinity that he has opened a New Daguerrean Gallery in the room over Wheelock’s Boot and Shoe Manufactory, Union Block, Main street, a few doors east of the Ellicott House where he is now taking superior Ambrotypes and Melainotypes, In the best style, and at prices as low as any other establishment.  Those wanting Pictures are invited to [come and examine his work.  J. Harris.

J. Harris is not recorded in other photographic directories.

William H. Harrington

1850-1851       6 Camp Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

William H. Harrington was recorded in two announcements and two advertisements in The Daily Crescent (New Orleans, Louisiana).  The first announcement ran on March 1, 1850. In speaking of the fine arts, we must not overlook the recent improvement in the Daguerreotype, by which impressions are made on paper instead of on a metallic plate.  At Maguire & Harrington’s, specimens may be seen executed by the new process.  The view of Canal street, during the inundation, presents one of the most beautiful landscapes we have ever seen, equaling in beauty the views of the—“Glorious city in the sea.”

The first advertisement ran from March 2, 1850 to January 21, 1851.  Daguerreotype, Talbotype Hyalotype Gallery.  Maguire & Harrington, having purchased from the assignees of W. F. Talbot, the patent right for the use of his Talbotype process, in the States of Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Texas, begs leave to call the attention of the public to their gallery of specimens in this new department of Photography.

The Talbotype is taken upon paper, ivory, glass, metal, and a variety of other substances, the first possessing the decided advantages of easy transmissibility by mail, can be enclosed in a letter, made to adorn the pages of a book, or preserved in a portfolio.

The Talbotype is eminently susceptible of coloring, so that the picture can be finished to any degree desired by the sitter; every variety of texture and color of the drapery and complexion, color of the eyes and hair, can be faithfully delineated.

The Talbotype represents the sitter without any reverse effect; a mole or scar upon the right check, appears upon the right cheek.  The Talbotype can be duplicated to any extent without the additional trouble of another sitting.  After the first Impression is taken, copies can be furnished at any future time upon simple application by letter or otherwise.

N. B.—M. & H. being furnished with every facility for the prosecution of this superior art, are ready to dispose of rights for the States specified, with thorough instructions. Daguerreotypes they profess to take quicker and better than any other establishment in the world. They guaranty a perfect likeness of a child of six months, in one second, or no charge. mh1.  No. 6 Camp Street.

The second announcement appeared on January 14, 1851.  The Daguerreotype Art.— We refer our readers to the advertisement of Col. T. J. Dobyns, one of the most distinguished daguerrean artist in America, who has taken the extensive establishment, No. 6 Camp street, lately occupied by McGuire & Harrington.  The former patrons of that establishment will find that it has lost nothing by the change; and that is saying a great deal.  We have known Col. Dobyns for many years, and we speak advisedly when we say he has the highest possible claims to the public confidence and patronage.  He is one of those rare men we occasionally meet with, and only occasionally, who, from their strong intellectual endowments, and force of character, will place themselves, in despite of all obstacles, at the head of whatever profession they engage in.  He has carried this art to its highest degree of perfection, and we wish him the success to which his high merits entitle him.

Advertisement ran from January 13 to 25, 1851.  Daguerreotyping—Maguire’s old stand, No. 6 Camp street.—The subscriber, having leased this well known and celebrated establishment, and secured the services of Dr. W. H. Harrington, partner of J. Maguire for the last four years, will continue the business at No. 6 Camp street; where he is prepared to furnish Likenesses, of all sizes, equal to any in the United States.  From long experience and strict attention, he trusts fully to sustain the reputation of this long established Gallery.

Gallery, No. 28 Camp street, will at all times be open for the reception of visitors and stock dealers.  T. J. Dobyns.

Dr. Harrington avails himself of this opportunity to return his thanks to his friends and the public for the liberal patronage heretofore received, and respectfully solicits a continuance of the same, at the above Gallery.

William H. Harrington is recorded in other photographic directories.  Craig’s Daguerreian Registry identifies him as William C. Harrington.

John Hamilton

1856                151 Bowery, New York, New York.[1]

John Hamilton was recorded on January 1, 1856 in the Photographic and fine Arts Journal (New York, New York).  In an article entitled the Photographic Galleries of America.  Number One, New York. The author visited 69 Galleries in New York City.

Hamilton — A young operator. Let him be determined not to be outstripped in the race, but to read, mark, learn and in-wardly digest the great principles connected with Photography and he must succeed.

John Hamilton is recorded in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry, but is included here because of the first hand account of his work.

[1] Not all first names or complete addresses were recorded in article.   Craig’s Daguerreian Registry was used to assist in identification when possible first name and address were added.

 

S. L. Hall

1856-1857       Rooms Over G. A. Neafus’ Clothing Store, Clinton, Louisiana.

S. L. Hall was recorded and part of John S. McClure’s company in an advertisement that ran from November 29, 1856 to January 17, 1857 in The Feliciana Democrat (Clinton, Louisiana). New Picture Gallery. John S. McClure & Co., Would respectfully announce to the citizens of Clinton and vicinity, that they have just opened an Ambrotype, Sphereotype, and Daguerreian Saloon, over G. A. Neafus’ clothing store.

Six years constant practice of the art, together with the recent improvement which they have added, and the use of C. C. Harrison’s improved Mammoth Camera, enables them to offer rare inducements to all desirous of obtaining perfect and imperishable types of friends and loved ones ere decay’s effacing fingers have swept the lines where beauty lingers.  Hear what Mr. E. Author, who conducts one of the largest establishments in the United States, says of these new improved instruments:  “C. C. Harrison’s improved patent Extra Camera, will add another victory to American skill, and give photography a new impulse.”

P. S.—No one will be expected to take a picture unless perfectly satisfied, but a decision must be made at once, as all pictures are considered sold when once pronounced satisfactory. J. S. McClure, S. L. Hall.

S. L. Hall is not recorded in other photographic directories. J. S. McClure is recorded in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry as being active in Mobile, Alabama in 1859. It is unknown if they are the same person.

Hall & Fredericks

1857                585 Broadway, New York, New York.

Hall & Fredericks (John Bishop Hall & Charles DeForest Fredericks) was recorded in an Advertisement that ran three times from February 21 to 28, 1857 in the New York Daily Tribune  (New York, New York).  Hallotypes—These Beautiful Portraits are taken by J. B. Hall, the inventor and patentee, only at the Gallery of Hall & Fredricks, No. 585 Broadway, opposite the Metropolitan Hotel.

The partnership between Hall & Fredericks has not been recorded to my knowledge in other photographic publications.  See Craig’s Daguerreian Registry for more information on John Bishop Hall.

B. Hafnagel

1857                413 Broadway, New York New York.

B. Hafnagel was recorded on November 7, 1857 in the New York Daily Tribune (New York, New York). Premiums Awarded at the Twenty ninth Fair of the American Institute… Daguerreotypes, Photographs, Hallotypes, &c.  B. Hafnagel, No. 413 Broadway, N. Y., for photographic Views and copies of Prints.……………………………….Bronze Medal.

B. Hafnagel is not recorded in other photographic directories. Craig’s Daguerreian Registry does list a Bernard Hufnagel from 1856 to 1860 at 413 Broadway, New York City.  This is probably the same person with a variant spelling of the last name.

R. Gustin

1857                Pike Street, in D. T. Cox’s Building, Port Jervis, New York.

R. Gustin was recorded in an advertisement ran from January 15 to March 5, 1857 in the  Tri-State Union (Port Jervis, New York).  Collodion Pictures on Glass.  The undersigned would respectfully call the attention of the public to his new process of taking Collodion Pictures on Glass, which are in every respect, far superior to the best results of the Daguerreotype, having none of that objectionable glare.  They are perfectly distinct in any angle.  Their tone is soft, velvety, and harmonious; are more durable, and less liable to spoil by accident, being proof against acids, water and air.

Persons wishing a beautiful, colored, life-like and durable picture, will do well to call immediately, as I shall remain here but a few days.  Room, with a good sky-light, in D. T. Cox’s building, Pike-st.  Pictures taken in cloudy as well as clear weather.  R. Gustin.

R. Gustin is not recorded in other photographic directories.

J. M. Green

N. D.               Address Unknown, Auburn, New York.                                                                                    1858               Address Unknown, Geneva, New York.

J. M. Green was recorded in an announcement on March 5, 1858 in the Geneva Daily Gazette  (Geneva, New York).  The students of Hobart College lately conceived the idea of securing photograph likenesses of their eminent and revered Professors and fellow classmates.  To that end they have employed Mr. J. M. Green recently of Auburn, a gentleman highly skilled in the Photographic Art.  This will give him abundant occupation for a time, for the engagement, we understand, is to execute some 500 likenesses.  While Mr. Green is with us, many of our fellow citizens will doubtless avail themselves of the opportunity to secure pictures in the best style of the art.

J. M. Green is not recorded in other photographic directories.

Great Western Gallery

1859                68 and 70 West Fourth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Great Western Gallery was recorded in an advertisement that ran from March 31 to April 15, 1859 in The Daily Press (Cincinnati, Ohio).  Home Interest…An excellent Picture of yourself or friends or friends for only twenty-five cents, at the Great Western Gallery, 68 and 70 West Fourth street.

Pictures inserted in Rings, Lockets and Breastpins, as cheap as the cheapest, at 68 and 70 West Fourth street.

Great Western Gallery is not recorded in other photographic directories.