Tag Archives: Springfield Massachusetts

C. Faxon

1841                7 Cheapside, New Bedford, Massachusetts.                                                            1841                Masonic Hall, Springfield, Massachusetts.

C. Faxon was recorded in two announcements while in the partnership of O’Brien & Faxon and two advertisements while he was alone in Springfield, Massachusetts. The first announcement appeared on July 9, 1841 in the New Bedford Mercury (New Bedford, Massachusetts). Daguerreotypes,—Such of our readers as may be desirous to learn more of the curious [all] invented by M. Daguerre in Paris, of copying nature simply by reflecting the image of the object to be represented in a strong light upon a metallic surface prepared to receive it, will do well to call at the room of Messrs. O’Brien and Faxon, Cheapside.  It will be seen by a notice in our advertising columns that these gentlemen will remain in this town a few days, and will execute miniatures, with singular fidelity and dispatch by this process.  We have seen several specimens executed by them, which are indeed facsimiles of the originals.

The second announcement appeared on July 9, 1841 in the New Bedford Mercury (New Bedford, Massachusetts).  Daguerreotype Miniatures.  Messrs. O’Brien & Faxon would respectfully inform the citizens of New Bedford and vicinity that they have opened an establishment at No. 7 Cheapside, (next door to Howarth’s exhibition of paintings) for the purpose of making the Daguerreotype Miniatures.  They practice upon the system of Prof. Morse of New York, combined with other valuable improvements in their possession.  Such is the accuracy and truth of these pictures, that no painter or engraver can equal them, they emphatically represent the man.  They also copy paintings, statuary, engravings, &c.  they will take a limited number of pupils on reasonable terms.  Hours of business between 8 A. M. and 6 P. M.  the public are invited to call as early as possible, as their stay in the place is limited.

The first advertisement ran from September 15 to October 6, 1841 in the Springfield Gazette.  (Springfield, Massachusetts).  Catch The Shadow ere its substance fades.  Daguerreotype Miniatures, At Masonic Hall For A Short Time Only. Prices Reduced to $3.  The Subscriber having spent much time and money in perfecting himself in the Photographic Art, and practiced successfully in various places, now offer his services to the citizens of Springfield and its vicinity, for a short time, at the Masonic Hall.  He is in possession of all those important improvements in the art which have been recently made, combined with others of his own invention, and flatters himself that his skill in the business will recommend him to their favor.  Likenesses, taken in a few moments, without the aid of a strong light, which, by the old method, was liable to distort the features.  To those who are unacquainted with this art, it may perhaps be well to say, that it gives a lasting and perfect delineation of the features, drawn by the pencil of light, the hand of Nature, more striking and accurate than can possibly be obtained in any other way.  The Subscriber has reduced his price to the lowest possible limits consistent with safety to himself, and as low as can possibly be obtained elsewhere, while his style of workmanship he is willing to compare with any in the country.  Price of a single portrait Three Dollars.—For a group of two—Five Dollars.  Satisfaction warranted.  Scenery, Buildings, Paintings, Bust, &c. Beautifully copied.  Instruction given upon reasonable terms. The public are respectfully invited to call.            C. Faxon.

The second advertisement ran from September 18 to October 2, 1841 in the Springfield Weekly Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts).  Catch The Shadow ere its substance fades.  Daguerreotype Miniatures, At Masonic Hall For A Short Time Only.  The subscriber respectfully informs the citizens of Springfield and its vicinity, that he has opened room at Masonic Hall, for the purpose of taking Daguerreotype Portraits.  The most accurate and striking likenesses which will never change or fade are delineated in this manner by the pencil of light, in the space of a few moments.  Miniatures taken in any weather, without the aid of a strong light, which was liable by the old method to cause an unnatural distortion of the features.  Price reduced to $3,00 for a single portrait; for a group or two $5,00.  Scenery, Buildings, Paintings, Bust, &c. Beautifully copied.  The public are respectfully invited to call.  C. Faxon.

C. Faxon is recorded in A Directory of Massachusetts Photographers 1839-1900.

Cooley & West

1848                Rooms in Hall’s Long Building, Brattleboro, Vermont.

Cooley & West were recorded in two advertisements and one announcement in the Vermont Phoenix (Brattleboro, Vermont).  The first advertisement ran from May 5 to June 30, 1848.

Daguerreotypes.  The Vermont Daguerrian Gallery Is now being fitted up in Hall’s Long Building.  It will be opened for the reception of visitors, May 10, 1848, when the proprietors will be happy to have a call from the citizens generally, and to show them our specimens; also our assortment of Gold Lockets, which will be sold very cheap, by the single one or by the dozen.

Operators that are in want of Lockets will find it for their advantage to give them a call before purchasing at Boston or other places.

Also, will be kept at their Gallery a large assortment of Plates, Cases, Chemicals and every thing appertaining to the Daguerreotype line, which will be sold at city prices.  The patronage of operators in this section of the country is respectfully solicited.  Likenesses taken of deceased persons; also from Paintings, Daguerreotypes, Engravings, &c.

Pupils thoroughly instructed in the art, and furnished with instruments, if desired.   O. H. Cooley, Geo. S. West.

The second advertisement ran from June 30 to August 11, 1848.  Miniatures.  Vermont Daguerrian Gallery.  Messrs. Cooley & West Would inform the inhabitants of Brattleboro and vicinity that they have fitted up their rooms in a superior manner for taking beautiful Daguerreotype Likenesses, in Cases, Frames, Lockets, Rings, &c., by side or sky light, as the sitter may prefer.  We flatter ourselves, with our long and successful experience in the business, in the Southern as well as the Northern States, and with the late great improvements in the art, we shall be able to take Likenesses of Persons, Portraits, Miniatures, Paintings, Engravings, &c., in a style of execution, boldness of character, beauty of expression, in variety of sizes, and delicacy of light and shadow that will suit the most fastidious.

Constantly on hand, a splendid assortment of Gold and Gilt Lockets.  Operators are requested to give us a call before purchasing elsewhere, as we shall sell very cheap. Single or by the dozen.  Also a large assortment of Plates, Cases, Chemicals, every thing appertaining to the Photographic Art, and which will be sold at city prices.  The patronage of operators in this section of the country is respectfully solicited.  Operators are invited to examine our Photographic Accelerating Fluid, which is acknowledged by the best artist to be the best thing now in use.

Likenesses taken of deceased persons.  Particular attention paid to instructing pupils in every branch of the business.  Also all the late improvements in the art.  Persons wishing to go South or West will find it for their interest to give us a call before engaging elsewhere.  Constantly on hand, German, French and American Cameras, which will be sold low.O. H. Cooley, Geo. S. West, Hall’s Long Building, over the Post Office.

The announcement ran on April 27, 1849.  Daguerreotypes.—Messrs. Cooley & West have been succeeded in the Daguerreotype business in this village, by Messrs. Spear and Mack, at the old stand, Hall’s Long Building.  With the best apparatus and materials, united to skill and experience, the new comers are prepared to portray the “human face divine” in any style that may be desired, to the perfect satisfaction of sitters.  [Advertisement Next Week.]

Otis H. Cooley was active in Springfield, Massachusetts and Brattleboro, Vermont.  George S. West is not recorded in other photographic directories.

Cooley & Meacham

1851                26 & 27 Foot’s Building, Springfield, Massachusetts.

Cooley & Meacham were recorded in an announcement and an advertisement.  The announcement ran on July 16, 1851 in the Springfield Daily Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts).  Cooley Daguerreotypes.  The most exquisite specimens of out-door Daguerreotyping we have ever seen, was accomplished, on Saturday last, by Mr. O. H. Cooley.  Mr. Cooley invited the Ocean Hose Company out, for their picture, and took them in their neat uniform with their new banner appropriately displayed in the center of the line.  The picture is a perfect set of portraits, in miniature, of the whole company, every individual being easily recognizable by those acquainted with the original.  This is not all.  The tone of the picture is like that of the very richest steel engraving.  We learn that the company are determined to have this picture, but trust that Mr. Cooley will retain it awhile, for exhibition.

In this connection, it is put justice to Mr. Cooley to give him the credit that his long and successful labors in the Daguerreotyping art deserves.  He began his business in the infancy of the art, eight or nine years since.  With an industry and perseverance which have surmounted every obstacle, he has kept along with the advance of his art, until, now, he displays a gallery of pictures, and daily furnishes portraits to his patrons, second to none found in the United States.  He has now taken in a new partner, and the business is carried on by Cooley & Meacham.  The gallery of pictures has been removed to the third story in Foot’s building, and now occupies one of the most beautiful and pleasant rooms in town.  Mr. Clark, an operator accomplished in his art, and gentlemanly in his deportment, presides in the laboratory, and we are glad to know that the business thrives.

The advertisement ran on July 25 to August 12, 1851 in the Springfield Daily Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts).  Hampden Daguerrean Gallery.  Cooley & Meacham, Proprietors, No. 26 & 27 Foot’s Building.  This long established Gallery has been constantly gaining in popularity, until now it is acknowledged to be unsurpassed in this country.

The picture department is still under the supervision of Mr. C., the original proprietor, whose motto has ever been to “go ahead,” in all the improvements in the Art, and he is determined to keep in advance of all competitors.  He has taken in as partner, Mr. H. H. Meacham, and with this accession to his means, is enabled to offer the picture-loving public greater inducements than ever to patronize this establishment.

They have removed their Gallery to room No. 26, directly front of the operating room, the pleasantest room in the building, and invite the public generally to visit their fine Exhibition Rooms, filled with an extensive collection of portraits of distinguished public men.

Pictures taken in all weather at moderate price.  N. B. Mr. Cooley having made the above arrangement request all who are indebted to him to make immediate payment, and all having accounts against him are requested to present the same for adjustment.

Otis H. Cooley is listed in A Directory of Massachusetts Photographers 1839-1900 and Craig’s Daguerreian Registry as being active in Springfield, Massachusetts.  Not recorded is that Cooley was also active in Brattleboro, Vermont from 1847-1849.  Craig’s Daguerreian Registry list a Harris Meacham in 1851-1852 without a business address.  Meacham is not listed in A Directory of Massachusetts Photographers 1839-1900.

L. W. Colton

1849                825, 826 & 27 Foot’s Block, Springfield, Massachusetts.

L. W. Colton was recorded in an advertisement which ran from March 14 to May 8, 1849 in the Springfield Daily Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts). O. H. Cooley has this day associated with him Mr. L. W. Colton, and the business will hereafter by conducted under the name of O. H. Cooley & Co., at the old stand in Foot’s new building, where they will continue to give the public more of those unrivalled Sky-Light Daguerreotypes, which have gained for this establishment its just and far famed celebrity, and they hope by unceasing endeavors to please, to merit a continuance of the public patronage.  The Rooms will be open for visitors from 8 o’clock A. M. until sunset.  All are invited to call and examine specimens whether they wish for pictures or not.

O. H. Cooley would also request those who have unsettled accounts to call as soon as practicable and settle the same with him or Prof. Atwater, who is yet at hand at his department in No. 8.

L. W. Colton is not recorded in other photographic directories. It is unknown if Colton is a daguerreotypist or just a business partner.

Mr. Clark

1851                26 Foot’s Building, Springfield, Massachusetts.

Mr. Clark was recorded in an advertisement that ran from December 9, 1851 to January 22, 1852 in the Daily Republican (Springfield, Massachusetts).  Kossuth Has Come!  And while this illustrious exile is being received with distinguished honor and shouts of welcome, let Cooley’s Daguerrian Gallery not be forgotten.  While the countenance is lighted up by the soul-inspiring eloquence of this great man step into Cooley’s, and in a few moments he will give you one of those superb Daguerreotype Likenesses for which his Gallery is famed, the world over.—His Sky-light needs no puffing—it can’t be beat—and those who have any eyes at all may be sure of obtaining a good picture.

The Professor may be found at his old station, and with our gentlemanly Operator, Mr. Clark, will be ready to wait upon visitors and sitters, and will give entire satisfaction to all.

Lockets, Keys, Rings, Pins, and every style of Case may be obtained at his Establishment, at the lowest prices; also, all kinds of material used in the business.  Call at Cooley’s, No. 26 Foot’s Building, and he will try to suit you.         O. H. Cooley.

Mr. Clark was not recorded in A Directory of Massachusetts Photographers, 1839-1900 or in other photographic directories.

Francis W. Chase

N.D.                Corner of Court and Main Street, Middletown, Connecticut.                            N.D.                Unknown Address, South Dennis, Massachusetts.                                                1859                Main Street, Springfield, Massachusetts.                                                            1860                Unknown Address, West Harwich, Massachusetts.   

Francis W. Chase Information came from an Ambrotype advertising card in my collection.  Obverse—From Chase’s Ambrotype & Photograph Gallery, South Dennis—Satisfaction warranted, or no sale.  Particular attention given to children and copying.  F. W. Chase, Proprietor.  (Note South Dennis is hand written.)  Reverse—(all printed) From Chase’s Ambrotype and Photograph Gallery, Corner of Court and Main Street, opposite the McDonough House, Middletown, CT.  Satisfaction warranted or no sale.

Listed in the 1859 Springfield City Directory, residence section as a daguerreotypist.        Listed in the 1860 New England Business Directory, Harwich.  

The South Dennis Massachusetts and Middletown Connecticut information is not recorded in other photographic directories.  Both Craig’s Daguerreian Registry and A Directory Of Massachusetts Photographers, 1839-1900, have the Springfield and West Harwich listings.

J. T. Ames

J. T. Ames is recorded twice in the Daily Republican newspaper, published in Springfield, Massachusetts on October 14, 1845. His name appears in a list of entries of the Hampden County Agricultural Fair under Specimens of fine arts which was held on October 8 & 9th. J. T. Ames possibly (James T.) from Cabotville (Chicopee) exhibited two daguerreotypes; J. Beals, Jr. of West Springfield exhibited 4 daguerreotypes; G. W. James probably (George W. James) from Springfield is listed with two entries first exhibiting twelve specimens of daguerreotypes and the second entry exhibiting four daguerreotypes; and Stock & Cooley who exhibited six paintings and four daguerreotypes.[1]

The second time he is mentioned was on September 29, 1851 also in the Daily Republican in an announcement for the Seventh Annual Cattle Show and Fair of the Hampden Agricultural Society…The following are the Committees on the various departments of the exhibition:…Under Paintings and Daguerreotypes.—T. W. Carter, Chicopee, James T. Ames, Chicopee, Edmund Freeman, Springfield.

In looking in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry he list a Joseph Ames as an artist and painter at 5½ Tremont Row from 1852-1856 the same address as Southworth and Hawes.  From 1857-1858 at 41 Tremont Row and 1859-1860 at 16 Summer Street.  He goes on to say that another source noted him as a daguerreian who gave assistance to Southworth and Pennell in their early stages (1840.)  John cites the business directory and WW as his sources.  W. W. is William Welling’s Photography in America: The Formative Years 1839-1900.  On page 20.  Welling writes Southworth & Pennell, meanwhile, at some point in the spring or summer of 1840, established a daguerreotype business in Cabotville, near Boston.  “We had the sympathy and substantial assistance of Messrs. Ames, Chase and Bemis.”  This information comes from The Philadelphia Photographer Volume 8, No. 94, October 1871 Page. 315-323. An Address To The National Photographic Association of the United States, Delivered at Cleveland, Ohio, June 1870.  By Albert Southworth. The passage is on page 317.

Checking The New York Historical Society’s Dictionary of Artist in America 1564-1860 there is a listing for Joseph Alexander Ames as working mostly in Boston from 1841-1847; he went to Italy in 1848, returning to Boston, visiting New York city in 1850, was in Baltimore, Maryland in 1870, and thereafter in New York City where he died on October 30, 1872.  There is no mention of an association with Southworth and Hawes, Southworth and Pennell or daguerreotyping.

In conclusion I believe that the attribution to Joseph Ames is based on the 5½ Tremont Row Address in Boston, not the Cabotville (Chicopee) location where Southworth & Pennell resided in 1840. Further research into J. T Ames (James T.) is needed, we know he made daguerreotypes in 1845 and still resided in Chicopee in 1851.  It is possible J. T. is the Ames mentioned in the Southworth Address to the National Photographic Association of the United States, not Joseph Ames.

[1] Three names J. T. Ames; J. Beals, Jr. and G. W. James are new name and not recorded in A Directory of Massachusetts Photographers, 1839-1900.