Tag Archives: Lock Haven Pennsylvania

E. L. Mowry

1856                Rooms in Quiggle & Mayer’s New Building, Water Street, Lock Haven,                                              Pennsylvania.[1]                                                                                                          1857                Rooms in Ammon’s Block, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.                                            1859                Rooms over Joseph M’Fadden’s Hardware Store, Market Street, Lewisburg,                                  Pennsylvania.

E. L. Mowry was listed in two in the Lewisburg Chronicle (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania). The first advertisement ran from April 17 to August 21, 1857. New Photographic Art Gallery In Ammon’s Block, Lewisburg.  Ambrotypes—Melainotypes!  E. L. Mowry, Artist.  Ambrotypes and Melainotypes made in the most beautiful style, of the art.  The Melainotype is a new process, taken on a prepared Sheet Iron Plate, and for brilliancy and vigor of tone is unsurpassed by any other known process.

Step into the Gallery, examine specimens, and judge for yourselves.  Prices to suit the times—satisfaction guaranteed.  Room in Ammons’s Block, second story, over Ammons’ Store.

The second advertisement ran from April 22 to 29, 1859.  Mowry’s Sky-Light Gallery, Over Jos. M’Fadden’s Hardware Store, formerly Houghton’s Shoe Store, market Street, Lewisburg, Pa.

Ambrotypes, melainotypes, &c., in the usual superior style.  In addition to these pictures, I am now prepared to take Photographs, large or small, equal to the best made anywhere.  Also Hallotypes.  These pictures are colored to represent life, and are superior to any oil painting, giving that fidelity of expression and features that can be produced only by the Camera.  These pictures are patented, and I have the exclusive right for Union county.  Call and examine specimens.

E. L. Mowry is recorded in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry for 1856 in the partnership of            Mowrey & Bergstresser.

[1] Information from Craig’s Daguerreian Registry.

Steward L. Bergstresser

Stewart L. Bergstresser was recorded in three different advertisements between 1851 and 1853 in the Lewisburg Chronicle. (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.)  John Craig list a S. L. Bergstresser in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry in 1856 in the partnership of Mowrey & Bergstresser in Quiggle & Mayer’s New Building, Water Street, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.  S. L. Bergstresser is also listed in Lock Haven without an address from 1859-1900 in  Directory of Pennsylvania Photographers 1839-1900, (Linda A. Ries & Jay W. Ruby.)  This is probably the same person.  A further search of the cities and towns in the area may provide a clearer picture of Bergstresser career.

The first advertisement found was on June 18, 1851, and ran until July 2, 1851.  Splendid Daguerreotypes.  Stewart L. Bergstresser Is happy to announce that not only “All the world and his Wife,” but any of the rest of mankind in these diggings, can have their likenesses taken in superb style, and at low rates, by calling at his room, 1st floor, brick house, opposite Mrs. Gen. Green’s residence.  He will not be in town longer than the 4th July.  Therefore, first come, first served.

The second advertisement appeared on May 21, 1852.  Lewisburg is well supplied with Daguerrean Artists, at present.  At the lower end of Market Street, S. L. Bergstresser, with his apparatus, materials, Sky-lights, and parlor, all on wheels, ready for locomotion—Spyker & Hawn on Market street, nearly opposite Kremer’s—and R. B. Harris at the upper end of Market Square—are all engaged, and show creditable specimens of their skill in catching and imprisoning nature’s own shadow.

The third advertisement appeared on October 29, 1852 and ran until June 3, 1853.  Daguerreotype Likenesses taken according to the latest improvements, at the first door below Iddings’ Store, on the most reasonable terms, by S. L. Bergstresser.

Spyker & Hawn and R. B. Harris have not previously been recorded in any of the photographic directories that have been consulted.