Tag Archives: R. B. Harris

Spyker & Hawn

1852                Rooms in the Brick Building on the South Side of Market Street, Lewisburg,                           Pennsylvania.

1853-1855       Rooms in the New Building over Dr. Thornton’s Drug Store, Lewisburg,                              Pennsylvania.

Spyker & Hawn were recorded in two announcements and three advertisements in the Lewisburg Chronicle (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania).  The first announcement appeared on May 21, 1852. Lewisburg is well supplied with Daguerrean Artists, at present.  At the lower end of Market Street, S. L. Bergstresser, with his apparatus, materials, Sky-lights, and parlor, all on wheels, ready for locomotion—Spyker & Hawn on Market street, nearly opposite Kremer’s—and R. B. Harris at the upper end of Market Square—are all engaged, and show creditable specimens of their skill in catching and imprisoning nature’s own shadow.

The first advertisement ran from May 21 to October 8, 1852.  Lewisburg Daguerrean Gallery.  Spyker & Hawn would respectfully announce to the citizens of Lewisburg and surrounding towns and country, that they have opened a Daguerrean Gallery in the Brick Building on the South Side of Market st., between third and Fourth Sts., nearly opposite D. S. Kremer & Co.’s store, or two doors east of John Houghton’s, where they are prepared to take Daguerreotype Likenesses to insert into Madalia, Breast Pins, Finger Rings, &c.  Persons having pictures of their friends, can have them copied as good as the original, and put up in cases.

Having a permanent location, persons from a distance can have their picture taken any time they call.  Persons wishing their Family taken, can do well by calling as they can come at any time it suits them, our Gallery being permanent and always open.  Pictures taken for $1.00 and upwards. N. B.  Instructions given on reasonable terms.  Spyker & Hawn.        

The second advertisement ran from August 5, 1853 to March 1, 1855.  Daguerreotypes.  Spyker & Hawn would inform the public that they have fitted up a Room expressly for Daguerreotyping, in the New Building over Dr. Thornton’s Drug Store—entrance at the first door, up stairs—where they are prepared to perform any work in their line in the best style of the art.  WE can take pictures at almost any hour in the day.  Children taken as well as adults—and other pictured copied.

As we have now a permanent location, fitted up exclusively for Daguerreotyping, we think we can render entire satisfaction, and respectfully tender our services.  F. Spyker,   J. L. Hawn.                                                                

The second announcement appeared on October 20, 1854.  Second Annual Fair Of The Union County Agricultural Society….Report of Judges…No. 15.—Unenumerated Articles…

Spyker & Hawn, Lewisburg, specimens of Daguerreotypes, elegantly got up, and for neatness and workmanship the committee recommends a diploma.

The third advertisement ran from February 23, 1855 to January 2, 1857.  Improvement in Daguerreotyping!  Spyker & Hawn announce to the public that they have newly fitted up and greatly improved their Rooms and Apparatus, and are prepared to take Likenesses superior to any in this place heretofore.  Pictures copied, or taken from life, and inserted in Medallions, Breastpins, Finger-rings, Watch seals, &c., warranted true.  We annex a list of our superior Cases: Papier Mache, Souvenir, Jenny Lind, Jewel, Union, Sontag, Oval, Velvet and Shell.  Pictures taken at $1 and upwards.  Rooms at the old stand over Dr. Thornton & Co.’s Drug store, opposite the Telegraph office.                      

For Sale—A first-rate Outfit, all complete and ready for use, which we will sell to any person, with full instructions in the business, for less than first cost.

Spyker & Hawn (F. Spyker & J. L. Hawn) are not recorded in other photographic directories.

R. B. (R. D.) Harris

1852                Market Square, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.                                                                               1852                Corner of Fourth and Market Streets, opposite Blair’s Hotel, Lewisburg,                                            Pennsylvania.

R. B (R. D.) Harris was recorded in one announcement and one advertisement. The announcement appeared on May 21, 1852 in the Lewisburg Chronicle (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania). Lewisburg is well supplied with Daguerrean Artists, at present.  At the lower end of Market Street, S. L. Bergstresser, with his apparatus, materials, Sky-lights, and parlor, all on wheels, ready for locomotion—Spyker & Hawn on Market street, nearly opposite Kremer’s—and R. B. Harris at the upper end of Market Square—are all engaged, and show creditable specimens of their skill in catching and imprisoning nature’s own shadow.

The advertisement ran from May 28 to October 8, 1852 in the Lewisburg Chronicle (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.  R. D. Harris’ Star Daguerrean Gallery!  Corner of Fourth and Market Streets, opposite Blair’s Hotel, Lewisburg, Where having a superior arrangement of light, and from his long experience in the art, he is at all times enabled to take truthful, life-like, expressive and lasting Likenesses, superior to any heretofore taken in Lewisburg, and put them up in a neat and durable case, for One Dollar each.  The citizens of Lewisburg and vicinity are respectfully invited to call, whether they want pictures or not, and examine his specimens, and see—

“How high the polish, pure the tone,                                                                                                                    And every face is Nature’s own:                                                                                                                            Sure never Art, with all its skill,                                                                                                                            The soul with such delight could fill,                                                                                                                  And never was such transport won                                                                                                                    As by those pictures from the Sun.”

“Think not those pictures by the sunlight made, Shades though they are, will like a shadow fade; No! when the lip of flesh in dust shall lie, When Death’s grey film o’erspreads the beaming eye, Those life-like pictures, mocking at decay, Will still be fresh and vivid as to-day!”

Portraits, Daguerreotype Likenesses, &c. copied, or taken true to the original, and neatly set in medallions, breast-pins, &c. for 75 cents.  Daguerreotypes taken as well in cloudy as in clear weather.  For Children’s Likenesses please call early in the day.  Instructions given in the art on moderate terms.

R. B. (R. D) Harris is not recorded in other photographic directories.

Steward L. Bergstresser

Stewart L. Bergstresser was recorded in three different advertisements between 1851 and 1853 in the Lewisburg Chronicle. (Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.)  John Craig list a S. L. Bergstresser in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry in 1856 in the partnership of Mowrey & Bergstresser in Quiggle & Mayer’s New Building, Water Street, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.  S. L. Bergstresser is also listed in Lock Haven without an address from 1859-1900 in  Directory of Pennsylvania Photographers 1839-1900, (Linda A. Ries & Jay W. Ruby.)  This is probably the same person.  A further search of the cities and towns in the area may provide a clearer picture of Bergstresser career.

The first advertisement found was on June 18, 1851, and ran until July 2, 1851.  Splendid Daguerreotypes.  Stewart L. Bergstresser Is happy to announce that not only “All the world and his Wife,” but any of the rest of mankind in these diggings, can have their likenesses taken in superb style, and at low rates, by calling at his room, 1st floor, brick house, opposite Mrs. Gen. Green’s residence.  He will not be in town longer than the 4th July.  Therefore, first come, first served.

The second advertisement appeared on May 21, 1852.  Lewisburg is well supplied with Daguerrean Artists, at present.  At the lower end of Market Street, S. L. Bergstresser, with his apparatus, materials, Sky-lights, and parlor, all on wheels, ready for locomotion—Spyker & Hawn on Market street, nearly opposite Kremer’s—and R. B. Harris at the upper end of Market Square—are all engaged, and show creditable specimens of their skill in catching and imprisoning nature’s own shadow.

The third advertisement appeared on October 29, 1852 and ran until June 3, 1853.  Daguerreotype Likenesses taken according to the latest improvements, at the first door below Iddings’ Store, on the most reasonable terms, by S. L. Bergstresser.

Spyker & Hawn and R. B. Harris have not previously been recorded in any of the photographic directories that have been consulted.