1841 Studio east corner of the Exchange Building, over Mr. Haight’s Jewelry Store, Auburn, New York.
Randolph Palmer was recorded in three advertisements and two announcement in the Auburn Journal and Advertiser (Auburn, New York). The first advertisement was recorded on January 6, 1841. Portrait Painting. R. Palmer would say to the Ladies and Gentlemen of Auburn and its vicinity, that he would be happy to wait upon them in the line of his profession, at his room, Chedell’s Buildings.
As to his ability as an artist, he would leave it with connoisseurs to decide. His portraits are always ready for inspection: let them speak for themselves. Call and examine them. Auburn, February 18, 1840.
The first announcement appeared on January 20, 1841. The Daguerreotype. By reference to the advertisement of Mr. R. Palmer in other columns, our readers will notice that he has recently fitted up his establishment so as to enable him to take likenesses, by the new and curious system of Daguerreotype. It was our intention to have given at this time a sort of bird’s eye view of the course adopted in carrying out the rules of this new discovery;—but we shall be compelled to defer it till our next. Such of our citizens as desire a perfect miniature, will do well to give Mr. P. a call at his “glass house,” east end of Exchange Buildings—and those who desire a Portrait, will there see specimens of his skill with the pencil and brush, as large, as natural, and apparently as animated as life itself.
The second advertisement ran from January 20 to March 24, 1841. Portraits, Miniatures, And Photographic Likenesses in the Daguerreotype Process R. Palmer, has removed his studio to the east corner of Exchange Buildings, (directly over Mr. Haight’s Jewelry Store,) within the Glass House, where he will always be found ready, and happy, to wait upon all who may desire to hand down to posterity their Phiz upon canvass, Ivory, or Silver
He is perfectly willing to be criticized upon his own productions, but thinks it unfair for critics to find fault with the Pictures which Nature paints.
The Daguerreotype paints along with the colors which the sun produces, by reflecting light upon the sitter,—the sitting for the Daguerreotype vary from 3 to 8 minutes, according to light. The best time for taking likenesses is in a clear day from 8 A. M., to 3 P. M.—It is not necessary to have the sun shine upon the sitter.
The second announcement appeared on February 10, 1841. Daguerreotypes. Likenesses of this description are now taken with the greatest accuracy by Mr. Palmer, at his “glass house” at the east end of the Exchange Buildings.
“The pictures as pictures (says the N. Y. Courier, in speaking of Daguerreotypes) are superior to any other specimens of the art that we have seen, and as likenesses of the originals, there is no sort of mistake. No one who would be flattered need sit, but the man or woman who seek a similitude of their own face and features, as exact as it is in the mirror into which they look, had better apply here. It is not a resemblance but an absolute identity of look and appearance, that is the result.”
Mr. P. has also recently succeeded in taking by the above power some beautiful landscape views.
The third advertisement appeared on March 31, 1841. Portrait Painting. R. Palmer has removed his room to 89 (Beach’s Block) Genesee st., where he will be happy to attend to all business in the line of his profession.—As to his ability as an artist, he would leave it with connoisseurs to decide. His portraits are always ready for inspection: let them speak for themselves.
The Ladies and Gentlemen of Auburn and vicinity are respectfully invited to give him a call. Auburn, March, 1841.
Randolph Palmer is not recorded in other photographic directories. He is recorded in The New-York Historical Society’s Dictionary Of Artists In America 1584-1860 as a portrait painter working in Auburn, New York from 1839 to 1843 and also working in Albany and Seneca Falls.