1851 Rooms in Caldwell Building, Fremont, Ohio.
Higgins of the firm Maxwell & Higgins was recorded in an announcement and an advertisement in the 1851 Fremont Weekly Freeman (Fremont, Ohio). The announcement ran on May 31, 1851. Paragraphs for all to read. Maxwell & Higgins have opened a Daguerrean Gallery in the Caldwell building. An excellent opportunity to obtain first rate likenesses. See their advertisement in another column of the Freeman.
The advertisement ran from May 31 to August 2, 1851 in the Fremont Weekly Freeman (Fremont, Ohio). Daguerreotypes! Maxwell & Higgins Would respectfully announce to the citizens of Fremont and vicinity, that they are prepared to take Daguerrean Likenesses in all kinds of weather, and in a manner which cannot be surpassed by any.
Their apparatus new and of the best quality, Large size Camera which has been tested by one of the best operators in Cleveland. Mr. Maxwell who will be the principal operator, has given his attention to the art for some time past and took lessons and operated with Mr. T. L. Kennan, also received additional instructions of Johnson & Fellows the most experienced and successful artists of Cleveland. And has made arrangements so that he will receive immediately all improvements or new discoveries in the Art. Rooms in the Caldwell Building a few doors south of Mr. Zieglers new Store.
Higgins is not recorded in other photographic directories. Maxwell is also not listed in other directories (as being active in Fremont). P. Maxwell is recorded in two advertisements, the first ran on October 9 to December 30, 1852 in the Fremont Weekly Freeman. The second advertisement ran on January 27 to April 16, 1853 in the Fremont Journal. It is possible that they are the same person, but at this point it is only speculation. To complicate matters Craig’s Daguerreian Registry list an A. D. Maxwell as being active in Marietta, Ohio in 1853, which is about 197 miles away. Craig list T. L. Kennan as being active in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on July 5, 1849. It’s unknown if they are the same person or if he relocated to Ohio. Johnson & Fellows are active in Cleveland in 1851.