1851-1852 Rooms Seneca Street, nearly opposite H. H. & G. C. Seelye’s Store, Geneva, New York.
Greene & Carson were recorded in one advertisements and two announcement in the Geneva Daily Gazette (Geneva, New York). On May 16, 1851 the first announcement appeared. Green & Co.’s New Daguerrean Gallery.—We yesterday visited Green & Carson’s Daguerrean Rooms, and were astonished to see the improvement and perfection in the art.—They have pictures that speak for themselves, and all they lack is life. Those wishing perfect Pictures, would do well to call and see if we have over stated the fact.
The Albany Dutchman says, while speaking of Likenesses painted by the sunbeams, that “our friend Carson of Cleveland who though a young Man has made several improvements in the Daguerrean art, that brings it one step nearer to perfection. As an artist he has few rivals, and no superiors in the country: and the best in Cleveland.” We are glade that he has associated himself with Mr. Greene, who is one of the B’hoys; and they will not and cannot be outdone by any artist in the country. Their rooms are nearly opposite H. H. & G. C. Seelye’s, Seneca St. See their advertisement.
The second announcement appeared on May 16, 1851. Every Day Brings Something New! Hillotypes Outdone. If you want Pictures that are Pictures, just call at Greene & Co.’s new Daguerrean Rooms nearly opposite H. H. & G. S. Seelye’s store, Seneca st., Geneva. Rooms open to citizens and strangers daily (Sunday excepted) between the hours of 7 A. M. and 6 P. M. clear or cloudy. Hours for children from 10 A. M. to 3 P. M. J. F. Greene. J. P. Carson.
The advertisement ran from May 23, 1851 to June 4, 1852. Every Day Brings Something New! Hillotypes Outdone. If you want Pictures that are Pictures, just call at Greene & Co.’s new Daguerrean Rooms nearly opposite H. H. & G. S. Seelye’s store, Seneca st., Geneva.
We have obtained the great desideratum of more light, consisting of sky lights with large side lights. This light is so admirably arranged and softened by curtains of a delicate blue, that the subject sits as it were in an Ethereal Light, with perfect ease and comfort.
By this light, and with an instrument of great power, (made expressly for us.) we are enabled to take Likenesses in a very few seconds. This light is expressly adapted to the procurement of family Groups, those beautiful mementos for the future of what we were—showing the union of to-day that to-morrow may be dissolved, perhaps forever.
In addition to these improvements, that every one can see and judge for themselves, we have made others of greater importance. We refer to our Chemical Apparatus, and we say unhesitatingly that it is the best in use, always sure in its operation, bringing forth pictures similar to the finest steel engravings.
Thus, Mr. Public, you are invited to call and examine or specimens. Rooms open to citizens and strangers daily (Sunday excepted) between the hours of 7 A. M. and 6 P. M. clear or cloudy. Hours for children from 10 A. M. to 3 P. M. J. F. Greene. J. P. Carson. Geneva May 15th 1851.
John F. Greene was recorded in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry in 1857-1858 being active in Geneva, New York. Also in Craig’s Daguerreian Registry is a listing for Carson with no first name as being active in Cleveland, Ohio in 1850-1851.