George H. Auxer was listed in an announcement on July 12, 1850 in the Lewistown Gazette, published in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. Mr. G. H. Auxer, a daguerreotypist of high repute, has opened a gallery in Market street, above J. Evans’ chair factory, where he will be prepared to take likenesses in the highest style of the art.
On July 19th in the same paper the following advertisement appears…Daguerreotypes. The undersigned respectfully informs the public that he has taken the room over Mr. John Evans’ Chair Manufactory, where he is prepared to make Daguerreotype Likenesses in the highest style of the art. He has possessed himself of all the improvements in the art, and is prepared to give as finished and perfect a picture as can be produced in the cities. Light eyes have heretofore been an obstacle in the way of securing good pictures, but this he is able to obviate. Call at his rooms and examine the specimens, and judge for yourselves. Instructions given in the art, on reasonable terms. Advertisement ran until August 2, 1850.
On January 8 1857 he is again reported in the Lewistown Gazette. This time they quote the Perry Freeman newspaper which was published in Bloomfield, Pennsylvania “Auxer is nit taking dog-types but ambrotypes…”
Craig’s Daguerreian Registry list Auxer in 1850-1851 Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and in 1859-1860 on Elbow Lane near Front Street, Marietta, Pennsylvania.